Fishing club Bled was founded in 1953 with its first president Ivan Kavcic PhD. At first the club was divided into two segments, namely Lake Bled and Sava Bohinjka river. At this early stage there were sixteen to eighteen mainly younger fishermen in the lake segment and roughly twenty older members in the river segment. The later were allowed to fish also the lake district, and were considered senior members. To advance to the river segment of the fishing club, the empty spot need to be created, which in practice only took place after the passing of one of the senior members.
The club members, led by Nande Mohar and Zdravko Stibil, unsatisfied with rules and directions of the club, took the initiative and contacted the Bled major Joze Kapus. They stressed the importance of environmental care, and fish protection and the need for a leader that will be able to execute major changes. The major Joze Kapus selected Ludvik Bem and the period of great changes followed. An end was put to segmentation of the club and all the members were granted equal rights. Nande Mohar and Zdravko Stibil both took responsible roles in the new fishing club structure, taking care of competition and game keeping in Sava Bohinjka river respectively. Important, all the management members were also responsible for searching additional funding in terms of sponsorship and donations. This laid firm foundations on which our fishing club still operates. Ludvik Bem led the fishing club for three mandates, and was followed by Zdravko Stibil (2 mandates), Franc Krmelj (4 mandates) and Joze Kuzma (1 mandate). Currently the president is Samo Novak who is leading us on the established path.
The fish farm owned by the club was in 1950s small as all the fish were distributed into three pools. The first fish farmer was Tone Pregelj who was also a professional fishermen at the time.